The Institute will consider applications in respect of any area of law librarianship, but would welcome in particular projects which relate to the following ongoing activities in which its own library is involved:
- The continuing development of its collections particularly in regard to legal materials from jurisdictions outside the United Kingdom (except non-commonwealth Africa and Asia). This may include the development of co-operative links between libraries.
- The continuing development of the provision of legal information in electronic form, particularly from the regions described above.
- Free access to law, particularly in relation to the development of legal information institutes and their services (IALS host the British and Irish Legal Information Institute (BAILLI) and is the UK representative of the Commonwealth Legal Information Institute).
- The generation of external funds, particularly with regard to the provision of information services to the legal profession.
- Implementation and exploitation of the Innovative library management system and discovery catalogue in law libraries.
- Archives of legal information in relation to legal education. (IALS holds an archive of documents relating to legal education in London and is accumulating information on archive information held elsewhere in London).
A number of past Visiting Fellowships in Law Librarianship have been successful in applications for Commonwealth Professional Scholarships.
Current Visiting Fellowship in Law Librarianship